2010 Scholarship Winner: Nigel Rodighiero
5 August 2010: Nigel Rodighiero from Phil Hoffmann Travel in South Australia was tonight named the 2010 recipient of the coveted Avis Travel Agent Scholarship of Excellence.
Rodighiero, who received the Scholarship at an official ceremony at Sydney’s Four Seasons Hotel, becomes only the 14th recipient of the annual award, which recognises and rewards consultants committed to the highest standards of customer service.
As the 2010 winner, Rodighiero will receive international travel and career development opportunities valued at more than $40,000, including:
- two Qantas Business Class return tickets to New York
- six nights’ luxury hotel accommodation
- seven days’ car rental from Avis
- foreign exchange products valued at $750
- free tuition for the first year of a three-year Bachelor of Tourism Management course at Southern Cross University (value $10,000)
- four ICCA cruise training modules
- automatic entry in the new Travel Industry Mentor Experience (TIME)
- a personal online behavioural profile and three consultation sessions with a Polonious Resources business coach
- a one year honorary position on the Avis Travel Agents Advisory Board
- a tour of Avis’ World Headquarters in New York and site visits to US agencies.
Rodighiero was chosen from six finalists, all of whom presented to members of the Avis Travel Agents Advisory Board during today’s final judging session in Sydney.
Avis Travel Industry Manager Russell Butler said 2010 was one of the most difficult to judge in the award’s 14 year history.
“All finalists demonstrated their understanding and application of excellent customer service principles, including great communication, the importance of anticipating problems and the ability to use their skills and knowledge to pro-actively find creative solutions,” said Butler.
“What distinguished Nigel was his focus on establishing a genuine connection with his clients in order to truly exceed their expectations, or in his words ‘to take a client’s dream holiday and make it even better than they imagined.’
“As the winner of the 2010 scholarship he now has a wonderful opportunity to enhance his skills and take his career to a new level.”
This year’s other finalists included:
- Paul Mirabito, FCm Travel Solutions, NSW (Flight Centre)
- Louise Brown, Spencer Travel, NSW (TSAX)
- Leanne Downie, Spencer Travel, NSW (TSAX)
- Marica Salpietro, Globetrotter Corporate Travel, VIC (CT Partners)
- Kelly Spinks, Jetset Travel Albany, WA (JTG)
All finalists enjoyed a night at the Four Seasons Hotel and received an Avis weekend car hire. They will also benefit from a personal online behavioural profile and consultation session with a Polonious Resources business coach.