2013 Winner Anne Hobbs
29 October 2013: Avis Australia today named Anne Hobbs from Travelworld Kununurra in far northern Western Australia as the 2013 recipient of the prestigious Avis Travel Agent Scholarship.
Hobbs was unveiled as the 17th recipient of the annual award – and the first ever winner from Western Australia – at a ceremony at Sydney’s Four Seasons Hotel attended by travel industry leaders.
The Avis Travel Agent Scholarship recognises and rewards travel agents committed to the highest standards of customer service. This year’s prize is valued at more than $40,000, with Hobbs enjoying two return Business Class tickets to New York flying Qantas, along with six nights’ luxury hotel accommodation in Manhattan and seven days’ car rental from Avis.
She will also receive:
- a first-year tourism scholarship to study at Southern Cross University’s School of Tourism and Hospitality Management, with financial support of up to $10,000 towards the first year of a three-year Bachelor of Tourism Management course*
- cruise training modules from the Cruise Lines International Association
- a Polonious Resources Personal Profile, Feedback Session and on-call personal/professional coaching for 12 months
- admission into the TIME (Travel Industry Mentor Experience) mentoring program
- a one year honorary position on the Avis Travel Agents Advisory Board
- a tour of Avis’ World Headquarters in New Jersey and site visits to US agencies.
Avis Travel Industry Manager Russell Butler says Hobbs, who only joined the travel industry seven years ago, impressed the judges with her ability to apply a clear and strong customer service philosophy to her day-to-day work as a frontline agent.
“Anne is a naturally warm and empathetic person who is passionate about her role and views every client as an individual with their own unique needs,” says Butler.
“What really stands her apart is that she is constantly looking for simple but effective ways to build customer relationships, she enjoys exceeding expectations and she reacts calmly and efficiently under pressure.
“All of this is underpinned by a commitment to constantly improving her skills and product knowledge, despite the challenges of working from a remote regional location.”
The 2013 winner was chosen from four finalists, all of whom presented to members of the Avis Travel Agents Advisory Board during yesterday’s final judging session in Sydney.
This year’s finalists included:
- Leanne Ralston, Spencer Travel (NSW)
- Maria Pandalai, Travel Managers Townsville (QLD)
- Kristi-Anne Butel, Complete Travel Solutions Brendale (QLD)
All will now receive a personal online behavioural profile and consultation session with a Polonious Resources business coach.